14 Best Quotes from Martial Artists
Many martial artists aren't just known for their physical prowess, but for their philosophical strength, too. We collected some of the best quotes from martial artists. Which begs the question: are wiser people attracted to martial arts or do the martial arts make you wiser?
Naturally, you'll find several quotes from Bruce Lee and Sun Tzu, though others may surprise you. Keep reading to get some inspiration! And if you're inspired to jump start your training, go here!
1. "The more we value things, the less we value ourselves." - Bruce Lee
2. "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee
3. "The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
4. "Martial arts is not just about self-defense; it's about self-control and self-improvement." - Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris Quote Black Belt Plus
5. "Martial arts training is a path to self-discovery and realization." - Gichin Funakoshi
6. "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." - Albert Einstein (a martial artist himself)
7. "A true martial artist is not the one who fears defeat, but the one who never gives up." - Georges St-Pierre
8. "The best fighter is not a Boxer, Karate or Judo man. The best fighter is someone who can adapt to any style." - Bruce Lee
Bruce Lee Quote Black Belt Plus
9. "Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Bruce Lee
10. "If you want to be a true martial artist, you must be able to adapt to any situation." - Jet Li
11. "The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle." - Richard Marcinko
12. "The true test of a martial artist is not in how much force he can muster, but in how much control he can exert." - Ed Parker
Ed Parker Quote Black Belt Plus
13. "The best way to defeat an enemy is to make him your friend." - Sun Tzu
14. "In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." - Sun Tzu
If these quotes are motivating you, check out some instructional videos here:
While these last two are about martial arts and are widely used, the source is unknown.
15. "A black belt is a white belt who never gave up." - unknown
16. "The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having power over your opponent, but having power over yourself." - Unknown
That’s our list. Did we miss your favorite quote? If you're feeling inspired to practice a new art, look no further. Black Belt+ has hundreds of instructional videos in dozens of styles.
Check out the biggest martial arts digital platform in history. From its rich history spanning over 60 years, the platform includes thousands of remastered instructional videos, martial arts movies, documentaries, and, of course, digital issues and articles from the iconic Black Belt Magazine.
The new app is available on iOS and Android mobile devices and tablets. Or download and subscribe directly from Black Belt at plus.blackbeltmag.co