2021 marks the 60th Anniversary Black Belt Magazine. Back In the 60's Black Belt was the first magazine to feature multiple martial arts even though it was mostly about judo back then. I enjoyed reading the articles and learned a great deal from judo legends like Hayward Nishioka and the late Harold Hal Sharp who were regularly featured with in-depth stories on both technical and philosophical aspects of judo and the martial arts. I would have never dreamed that when I grew up these leading figures in judo would become my mentors and personal friends.
- Sensei Gary's Black Belt Magazine Congratulatory Video
- Black Belt Magazine Judo Blogs by Sensei Gary Goltz
- Sensei Gary's Black Belt Magazine Foot Sweeps Article
- Sensei Gary Black Belt Magazine Profile on Ronda Rousey
- Sensei Gary's Black Belt Magazine Two Throws Article
- Sensei Gary on the History of Judo in Black Belt Magazine
- Sensei Gary's Black Belt Magazine Self-Defense Article
- Sensei Gary's Black Belt Magazine Olympic Article
- Sensei Gary's Black Belt Magazine Judo / BJJ Article
- Sensei Gary's Black Belt Magazine Self-Defense Kata Video
- Sensei Gary Chokes out Black Belt Magazine's Editor Video
- Sensei Gary's Interview by Black Belt Magazine Video - Part l
- Sensei Gary's Interview by Black Belt Magazine Video - Part Il
The article below from 1968 by my friend and mentor 2x Black Belt Hall of Fame Member Hayward Nishioka actually helped inspire me to stay with judo. I read it after I had been studying under Kyu Ha Kim for several years. Once I asked Mr. Kim (as we called him back then) about the Kano's philosophy and he told me stay with judo and someday you'll come to understand it well. However, I still wanted to know more. That's when Black Belt published this feature by Nishioka Sensei, which I kept from 53 years ago...
Hayward and me over the years.
Click here to view some of Hayward Nishioka's books on Amazon.