At 37 years 10 months old, Tamawashi became the oldest wrestler to win a grand sumo tournament since the modern system of six tournaments a year was established in 1958. It was his second career championship. Terunofuji, the only wrestler to currently hold the sport's highest rank of yokozuna, was forced to exit the tournament on the 10th day with persistent knee problems.
- Sumo Grand Champion Wakanohana II Dies - Black Belt Magazine ›
- Sumo Wrestling 2022 - Black Belt Magazine ›
- Terunofuji Gobbles Up Another Sumo Championship - Black Belt ... ›
- Abi Wins Historic 3-Way Playoff to Claim Sumo Championship - Black Belt Magazine ›
- Sumo Tournament to See Weakest Field in 30 Years - Black Belt Magazine ›