George Kirby’s Top 10 Jujitsu Techniques: Rear Leg-Lift Throw
July 18 | 2011
In his new book, George Kirby reveals how jujitsu techniques like the rear leg-lift throw can be applied to any street self-defense situation. Kirby—a 10th-degree black belt in jujitsu—shares with us another of his favorite jujitsu techniques. The following technique came from Chapter 4 of his book Jujitsu: Basic Techniques of the Gentle Art Expanded Edition. Here is what the jujitsu master had to say about the second move from his Top 10 Jujitsu Techniques series:
"Head locks are not nice and must be dealt with quickly. If you want to bring your opponent down and into a swift submission, this is the technique to use. Using nerve pressure to lift the attacker’s leg is a great distraction that makes the rest of the technique easily doable. Just follow the same footwork as learned for the basic hand throw."
Jujitsu Technique No. 2: Rear Leg-Lift ThrowJapanese Translation: SHIOKU ASHI USHIRO NAGE
- 1) Your attacker has you in a head lock, using his right arm.
- 2) With your left hand, grab the back of your attacker's collar (or his hair). Your right palm rests behind his right knee joint, thumb down.
- 3) Press the nerve just inside his gastrocnemius muscle (see inset 3A) behind his knee joint. This will cause his leg to jerk up automatically. If this doesn't work, try pinching the inside of the attacker's thigh very quickly just above the knee joint with the nails of your right thumb and index finger.
- 4) As he lifts his leg, continue to raise it farther. At the same time, pivot your left leg back and out of the way as you yank down on his collar.
- 5) Follow your attacker down to the ground (in case he keeps hold with the head lock), dropping onto your left knee.
- 6-7) Grab his groin with your hand and pull.
George Kirby's Top 10 Jujitsu TechniquesTechnique No. 1:Shoulder-Lock Hip ThrowTechnique No. 2: Rear Leg-Left Throw Technique No. 3: Basic Drop ThrowTechnique No. 4: Elbow Lift
(To learn more about these and other basic jujitsu techniques, check outJujitsu: Basic Techniques of the Gentle Art Expanded Edition by George Kirby.)
Introducing Martial Arts School Listings on Black Belt Mag!
Sign Up Now To Be One Of The First School Listed In Our Database.