Judo Blog: Ayaka Miura Proving that Judo Works In MMA
Another prominent judoka is making her climb in MMA. It is Ayaka Miura a third-degree black belt from Japan has been targeting a ONE Championship World Title belt.
Miura had a very sheltered childhood as an only child from a close family in Saitama – the suburbs of the Greater Tokyo area. She started judo in junior high school, aiming at scoring ippon throws.
This article from earlier this week includes a video of Ayaka’s use of judo throws, holds and submissions.
Sportskeeda Analyst - Duane Lucas Pascua
You don't want to be trapped under ONE Championship strawweight Ayaka 'Zombie' Miura's scarf-hold. From this position, the Japanese fighter ingeniously uses one of Judo's "newaza" techniques to lock in an excruciating armlock.
As it stands, Miura holds the record for most submissions in ONE's strawweight history, all by using her now-famous "Ayaka Lock." This is the closest you can get to someone having a "finisher" in MMA, ala professional wrestling.
A "scarf-hold," called "kesa-gatame" in Japanese, is a hold used to pin someone from side control. It's one of the strongest, most crushing pins utilized in grappling. Third-degree judo blackbelt Miura takes her opponents down from the headlock position and then straight to her kesa-gatame. From there, 'Zombie' isolates their arm for her trademark submission.
It's basically an Americana keylock using the legs. Miura's devastating submission hold has been her calling card inside the ONE Championship circle, and not a lot has been able to stop it.
The Japanese fighter managed to take one clear path and come through with it without a hitch, despite her opponents knowing exactly where she's going. For some reason, they can't stop it from happening. The Judo specialist is one of the very few fighters today who could be considered as a "specialist." She is a rare breed indeed.
3 Minutes of Ayaka Miura Proving that Judo Works In MMAThird-degree judo black belt Ayaka Miura has finished four ONE Championship victories with her signature "Ayaka Lock" submission! Can "Zombie" do it again wh...
Ayaka Miura faces Dayane Souza at ONE Championship 156.
After her failure to capture the strawweight belt against Xiong Jing Nan earlier this year, it's back on the drawing board for Ayaka Miura.
At ONE 156: Eersel vs. Sadikovic on April 22, Miura will be tasked to welcome Dayane 'Day Monster' Souza to the circle. The Brazilian is on a five-fight winning streak and is looking to make a memorable debut in ONE Championship.
Not a lot is known about Souza other than the fact that she has a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu but prefers to strike in MMA. She has four wins by way of KO/TKO.More articles on Aykaka Miura:
- ONE Championship: Xiong Jing Nan eager to show Ayaka Miura her improved ground game
- Ayaka Miura aims to put Xiong Jing Nan in her 'Ayaka Lock' at ONE: Heavy Hitters
- ONE Championship: Tiffany Teo shares surprise over Ayaka Miura getting title shot
Souza has a penchant for swinging hard with powerful strikes which then makes her susceptible to falling in the clinch. Look for Miura to time one of Souza's wild swings to enter the clinch and bring her to the ground.
- 23rd Saturday - AZ State Championships, Tucson, AZ
- 13th Friday to 15th Sunday - Golden State Open & Israel Hernandez Clinic, Covina, CA
- 19th Thursday to 22nd Sunday - Senior National Championships, Daytona Beach, FL
- 18th Saturday - Sensei Gary's Birthday Scrimmage, Claremont, CA
- 24th Friday & 26th Sunday - National Junior Olympics, San Jose, CA
- 17th Sunday - California State Games Judo Event, San Diego, CA
- 21st Thursday to 24th Sunday - Grassroots Judo Summer Nationals, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- 28th Thursday to 31st Sunday - U.S. Open, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- 2nd Friday to 4th Sunday - Grassroots Judo Winter Nationals & Clinics, Azusa. CA
I’m always looking for new subjects to write about regarding judo as well as contributions from my readers. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, thanks.
- ONE Championship: Dangal Announced for May 15th - Black Belt ... ›
- ONE: Heavy Hitters Recap - Black Belt Magazine ›
- Ayaka Miura Challenges Xiong Jing Nan At ONE Heavy Hitters ... ›